Sunday, August 26, 2012

Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

First treat of the blog! These I made yesterday in the heat of the afternoon. One of the favourite recipes in our family growing up was Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. The recipe evolved over the years, but none of us ever had the idea to add peanut butter. I'm a fan of bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate together, so I thought they could make a perfect marriage in a muffin. Because I couldn't find the original family recipe on my computer, I did a quick google search and came across a recipe on Baked Perfection that I modified slightly to make my muffins:


Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (my teaspoon is generous…more like two!)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup peanut butter (I would add more next time, at least ¾ cup)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup butter melted
3/4 cup chocolate chips
¼ cup peanut butter chips
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (just cinnamon and white sugar stirred together)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups.

In a medium-sized bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a second bowl beat together bananas, peanut butter, sugars, vanilla, egg, and melted butter. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture in two additions until just combined. Stir the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips into the batter. Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with cinnamon sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.


You can tell that's an old pan...pretty certain that's one from my childhood that my mother donated to me when I moved out! But the muffins turned out quite well. As I stated in the ingredients, I would add more peanut butter next time as there wasn't quite enough of a peanut butter hit for my tastes, but they're still moist and delicious!


To power me through the muffin-making, I threw on my favourite band this month, Mumford and Sons. I can't believe that I just discovered them this summer. Love the harmonies and the instrumentation in their stuff. Puts me in mind a bit of the Rankin Family, who my Mom listens to quite a bit. Anyway, this is their newest single - I Will Wait - that I was belting out while baking:


No comments:

Post a Comment