Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mashed Potatoes with Bacon, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream

Growing up, mashed potatoes weren't among my (long) list of favoured dishes. I thought they were alright, and I would eat them, but they would never have been my first choice for a side dish. As an adult, I've had some fun exploring different options for mashed potatoes with more than the basic milk/cream/butter combination. This incarnation has just about everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, and I would gladly whip these up any night as a side to my meal.

Mashed Potatoes with Bacon, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream

2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 onion, diced finely
3 cremini mushrooms, diced
3 tbsp milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 cup cream cheese, softened

Add the cubed potatoes to a large pot of boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and sauté until it begins to brown on both sides. Add the garlic, onion, and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and continue to sauté until soft, stirring often to ensure the garlic does not burn.
Add all the dairy ingredients in a serving dish ready for the potatoes. Once the potatoes are ready, drain them and add them to the serving dish. Mash thoroughly incorporating the milk and creams. Add the bacon and mushroom mixture and stir gently to distribute. Serve immediately.

The potatoes are pictured there in the background behind my Honey Mustard Glazed Chicken. They have a rustic look but such an amazing flavour with the combination of the bacon and the sour cream mashed right in. It's an unexpected treat - and one you'll want to savour.

For my beats, I'm throwing in another Mumford and Sons tune. I know I've already featured them in an earlier post, but Winter Winds seems to fit these potatoes. They are an ideal winter side dish full of warmth, comfort, and substance, and mashed potatoes are a staple in Great Britain. So once again for your enjoyment, here are Mumford and Sons, but this time with Winter Winds.



No comments:

Post a Comment